Saturday, June 14, 2008

A good ole trusted Lemon Loaf recipe



Every Saturday night around 8pm, we like to make a big pot of green or herbal tea and watch a britsh drama called "Heartbeat". I just adore this show! There is a serious story along side an "only in Britain" kinda story. I really like british made television and movies. Well any forgien for that matter. I find that story telling is much more raw and uninhibited. Glitz, glam and catchy taglines are given up for honest and revealing storylines. Part of our Saturday ritual is to have a little sweet with our tea. Usually I forget to make something earlier in the day and its a quick dash to the corner store for some stale cookies or other commercially produced sugar high. Today, well today, I was on top of my game. Even though I was feeling iffy, car sickish iffy, I pulled together a good ole trusted Lemon Loaf. It is quick, easy, minimal ingredients and is sssssoooooo yummy!

Lemon Loaf

1/2 cup Butter or Margarine (I use shortening if I am low on butter)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup Milk

1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
Grated rind of one lemon

Cream butter, sugar and 1 egg. Beat in second egg, stir in milk.

In a second bowl stir together flour, baking powder and lemon rind. Pour over batter and stir to just moisten.

Spoon into a 9x5x3 greased loaf pan.

Bake 350 for about 1 hour. Let cool for a few minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack with waxed paper or even a paper grocery bag underneath.

Spoon a lemon glaze over the top of the hot loaf


Lemon Glaze

Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Combine juice and sugar over medium heat stirring constantly to dissolve sugar.


ENJOY!!

2 comments:

Tabitha said...

Hey, that's my kind of loaf--sounds easy enough, even for me!! YUM!

BlenderBach said...

sounds delicious!